<$BlogRSDUrl$>

These words are the last testament of Jesus Christ in the New World.

Monday, July 14, 2003

Learning Can Be Boring!

So Annemarie's only vacation interest is science museums. Well, she maintains a clear heirarchy of musea: Science & Industry, then History, then Art. I, in marked constrast, go Art, History, Social Inquiry, then Science. Annemarie maintains there's no such thing as a museum of social inquiry, completely ignoring such institutions as the museum of tolerance, and the museum of sex.

This led to a discussion of the possibility of a museum of Human Interest, which I think is a brilliant idea.

Point being, we went to the exploratorium. For my fans in Guam, the Exploratorium is a science museum in San Francisco. I hadn't been there since I was 10, but when we got there I realized this 17 year gap was no extreme loss, as most of the exibits were still the same. Call me crazy, but I maintain that if you're learning about something on a Mac+, it's very clearly not science.

What struck me most was the extent to which I've become science blase, I'm attrociously "been there, learned that". All the things which used to seem fascinating were now just... lame. Like the upstairs portion included a very large exhibit about engines and generators and I just don't give a shit. I know how they work, turning a crank and seeing a light come on just doesn't dazzle me anymore.

Yes, guy, because it's about discovery, and you can't discover things more than once. until dementia.

The other big issue with the exploratorium was the awkwardness of it being "for children". Fucking kids. It was like people were looking at you funny just because you wanted to learn things you already knew. I paid adult goddamn admission, I get my turn.

And these shovey fucking kids have NO idea how a line works. Always jumping in front of you. I spent 15 minutes waiting for a mind-bending chance to recalibrate my reflexes to screwey goggles to shoot mini basketball baskets, and this little boy in a blue visor just jumped in front of me. He did it again at a disk-rolling thing, then again at a round xylophone. I nearly broke him in twain. yes, and they would call ME the criminal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My email is guyball@yahoo.com. I don't know how to put it in here as a magical link thingy